Monday 27 February 2017

Critical Reflection On Professional Practitioner Inquiry

Critical Reflection on professional Practitioner Inquiry

Introduction
Module 2 has given me the opportunity for professional growth by enabling me to further investigate my practice through the process of inquiry. Tasks 4, 5 and 6 where challenging yet extremely helpful in preparing me for the planning of this process.


Lines of Inquiry
Developing inquiry questions was the toughest obstacle I faced throughout the module; this was due to the variation in my career at present and the uncertainty of where it was heading. Too overcome this issue, I took advantage of underpinning knowledge gained in module one and discussed potential ideas and questions via my Google community, blog comments, SIG and Skype sessions. (Appendix 1). Establishing my skills and competences also aided me in choosing my inquiry topic. (appendix 2 ) Upon deciding on a topic I focused on literature which expanded my knowledge on my current practice and areas of study (appendix 3)

Ethics
Reader 5 brought too my attention how little I actively consider ethics within my practice. Upon reading professional documents
Such as job contracts, I realised I held this information tacitly (appendix). Researching ethics encouraged me too consider how our professional ethics occasionally conflict with personal ethics.
‘Ethics isn’t always a case of black and white; there are grey areas’ (Reader 5, page 7 Middlesex University) (appendix 4)  I used my new found knowledge from the reader to complete my ethics release form.
 I found it difficult too discuss ethics in relation too my inquiry topic as the majority of other students undergoing the module are focusing on teaching and had lots in common in terms of both their professional practice and inquiry.

Methods
Bell (2002) states ‘Understanding the major advantages and disadvantages of each approach is likely to help you to select the most appropriate method’
I used this quote too assist me in deciding on methods of which I deemed most appropriate for my inquiry. (appendix 5)  as certain interview would be the best method as the data I am relying upon is ‘qualitative’ I conducted a pilot interview too confirm this whilst taking into considerations ethical requirements, style of interview and interview context (appendix). I struggled too decide on a second data collection tool. I discussed this issue with a colleague and decided the use of my journal would be crucial. Observations would also provide me with qualitative data however I will review this tool further and make an informed decision of whether this would be possible in terms of scheduling and ethical considerations (appendix).The pilot experience provided me with the skills and knowledge to execute my personal inquiry with confidence in Module 3.

Conclusion
Module 2 has been difficult yet has provided me with a wealth of knowledge and curiosity in relation to me professional practice. Applying time management skills studied in module 1 enabled me too keep on track with my inquiry plan.  I do believe I would have benefitted further through more communication within my SIG in the initial stages; however due to my professional schedule, found this difficult I completed tasks in my journal rather than on my blog and relied on cast members and other colleagues too support the development of my inquiry.  I am positive I have a strong basis for my inquiry and look forward to progressing further. 

No comments:

Post a Comment