Thursday 26 March 2015

Task 2C - Critical reflection on reflective practice

'Reflective practice' is a process in which you consciously analyse an experience which then enables you to develop insight into your experiences and improve learning. I believe everybody reflects on experiences; however it is often an unconscious process or loosely thought about. As John Dewey saw reflective thought as 'an active, persistent and careful consideration of any belief or supposed form of knowledge in the light of the grounds that support it and the further conclusion to which it tends' (Dewey 1933)

How important is it to engage with an experience?

John Dewey was an educationist and key theorist regarding reflective practice and learning through experience. John Dewey explains ’The quality of the education was linked to the level of engagement with, and consciousness of the experience' (page 4, Reader 2). This quote I can relate to in my own professional practice.  When I am fully focused in a rehearsal, whether it be dancing, singing or acting, I leave the rehearsal retaining information such as routines, song lyrics and blocking very clearly which I can reflect on during and after the rehearsal to improve for next times. If I am feeling tired or distracted by a thought or event unrelated to the rehearsal I leave having retained very little information and not much to think about for an action plan. I also have developed a dreadful habit of listening and answering to questions unconsciously when my mind is focused elsewhere or distracted. When later asked if I had completed the task asked of me, I cannot recall being asked at all even though I responded. This is a frightening thought that I could lose out on vital information due to this unconscious process. I strongly agree that the level of engagement greatly impacts and like Tufnell and Crickmay, believe that I use all of my senses to fully engage and learn through experience. 
'It is through the sensuous world of the body, through our eyes, ears, skin, muscles, and organs that we see, feel and respond to all that happens. The body is the ground from which all our knowing of the world begins. It is within our bodies, in our instinctual and sensory responses, that we discover the changing field of what is happening to us. (Tufnell and Crickmay, 2004)

After some careful consideration I decided that I do tend to use all senses to fully engage. I thought of a time when I was asked to direct somebody to a certain destination. To fully engage with the question and give the lady correct information, I firstly pictured in my head the destination and my car driving down the correct route. This wasn't enough for me to answer the question and I found myself stuttering after the first direction was given. I felt using hand movements to mimic the direction my car would travel and watching my car take this route in my head combined with voicing the turns and road names out loud enabled me too fully engage and respond to the question quickly and effectively. I also thought of a time when I was choreographing a contemporary dance for my A level dance exam. The theme I was to base my dance upon was domestic violence. As I had never experienced or witnessed domestic violence, I found it difficult to engage with the theme. I was very conscious of this experience as not only was it for an important exam but it was very sensitive topics which I had too approach with care. 
Looking back at my preparation notes from my choreography file, I can see I used many senses to engage with the experience and believe this contributed to my excellent grade. If I had only researched my topic using one sense I would not have as much knowledge about the topic and therefore would have not learnt as much from the experience. 

At which part of an experience do you begin to learn something new?
“Learning is the process whereby knowledge is created through the transformation of experience” (Kolb, 1984, p. 38).

As explained in reader 2, Kolb was influenced by the work of Dewey, and created a learning cycle as a 'tool to reflect on how you learn and a tool for approaching experience'

The cycle consists of four stages: 
Concrete Experience
Reflective Observation
Abstract conceptualisation 
Active Experimentation







Although we reach all four stages on Kolb’s cycle, it is important to know where we enter first (at which point do we begin learning something new)
As instructed to in reader 2; I thought of the process I went through when learning choreography at a recent audition. I found it really difficult and confusing. I figured I entered at 'concrete experience' as executing the steps whilst they were being taught, was the first step I took; although I was recognising I was using an incorrect arm movement at this stage, it wasn’t until I watched myself in the mirror and watched another dancer perform that I noticed other mistakes. Would this mean I entered Kolb’s cycle at 'reflective observation' Laura (2015)
I decided to look into kolb's learning cycle in more depth to see if I could rectify this or find an explanation. I came across some information that helped me clarify my thoughts and understand my starting position much more clearly. The point of learning (learning style) is actually a combination of two points in the cycle. 
I have listed the learning styles below, however they are also included on the diagram. 

  • Diverging
  • Assimilating 
  • Converging
  • Accommodating 

My learning style

I figured my learning style was 'Diverging'. After researching an explanation of this learning style; I was shocked to find how exact my findings were when I cam across this short extract.

 (Feeling and watching - CE/RO)

These people are able to look at things from different perspectives. They are sensitive. They prefer to watch rather than do, tending to gather information and use imagination to solve problems. They are best at viewing concrete situations at several different viewpoints.’ Kolb called this style 'diverging' because these people perform better in situations that require ideas-generation, for example, brainstorming. People with a diverging learning style have broad cultural interests and like to gather information. They are interested in people, tend to be imaginative and emotional, and tend to be strong in the arts. People with the diverging style prefer to work in groups, to listen with an open mind and to receive personal feedback McLeod, S. A. (2010). Kolb - Learning Styles. Retrieved from http://www.simplypsychology.org/learning-kolb.html

As explained in reader 2, Howard Gardner Believed people were intelligent in numerous ways. He introduced the idea of 'multiple intelligences'
(Gardner, 1983)
Whilst in training I was asked to complete a short test to determine what type of learner I was. Only one answer was to be chosen from a choose of three for each question, I found the test very difficult due to this as in most questions I would have preferred to choose more then one answer; Below is an example I created myself with a similar idea to the other questions.

'What type of book would you prefer to read?' 
A: Picture book/comic strip
B: Novel with no pictures
C: Activity book , crosswords, recipe book, word search 

I would answer both B and C for this if possible, however this would go against the views of what a 'traditional learner' is. I found the idea of learning one specific way very restricting. Similarly to what I wrote about above regarding engaging with experiences, I prefer to use all senses. 

I took Gardner's 'multiple intelligence test' and my results are as follows:

Musical: Enjoy listening to music, working with instruments, singing. Often very rhythmic with great pitch. Remember experiences and learn more when associated with music. 

Movement/ kinaesthetic: Actions and movements will enable this type of learner to retain information. Often active people who are sports people and engage most with learning when 'doing'

Intrapersonal: 'Relates to ones emotional life as a means to understand others' (Reader 2, Middlesex University 2014)

Occasions of reflection
'Present or future being two distinct and different ways to engage with experience (Jackson, 1998; Dewey, 1934)
Depending on the situation I tend to reflect at different points of the experience. 
If I am learning a dance routine or song and notice I am doing something incorrectly, I will take a very direct approach and rectify the mistake straight away; this is called 'reflection-in-action'. On the other hand if I was writing an essay for my BAPP work I would firstly write a draft, read over it and then correct it later (reflection-on-action) however as I am currently writing the first draft of my critical reflection on reflective practise, I am beginning to notice I do actually use reflection-in-action to a certain extent by correcting spelling and re-writing phrases as I am writing. The idea of reflection-in-action and reflection-on-action was introduced by shun (1987)
The type of profession you are in has an impact on whether you reflect-in-action or on-action. A performer in most situations would not find the latter beneficial. Singing the wrong tune throughout an entire rehearsal or audition when fully conscious of the fact you are wrong is not acceptable in our business. It is simply not good enough to continue to make the mistake thinking its ok to go home later that evening and sort it out then. If singing with a group, this could distract them and affect the learning of everybody else in the rehearsal/ audition and in both cases more than likely cost you your job. Reflecting-in-action is second nature to me, I can reflect in the midst of action without having to give it a thought. Until I researched this topic I was completely unaware that it was already present in my professional practice. Kottcamp disagrees with my view he believes reflection-in-action is harder to achieve. This arises many ethical issues as he is basing his theory on himself as an individual and not considering the different factors that may influence other people to reflect on a different occasion.

Journal Writing:
Keeping a Journal is a very effective way of reflecting on experience. It is an essential element of work based learning and as explained in reader 2, will support our process of critical thinking. Previously in my professional practice, I had never understood the importance of keeping a journal; however after studying theorists such as Moon and Boud I fully understand the benefits. I have discussed my relationship with journal writing and methods in which I could use to write in my journal in previous blog entries 'Task 2A' and 'Task 2B' http://laurajanegregory.blogspot.co.uk/

Conclusion

After studying key theorists of reflective practice and learning through experience. I now have sound knowledge of my preferred learning styles. I discovered which elements of these topics I already incorporate in my professional practice. I will use tools such as Kolb's learning cycle and Gardner’s multiple intelligence tests too not only improve my learning in all aspects of my career but to also improve the learning of pupils I teach. I will adapt lesson plans to incorporate different learning styles to suit their needs and reflect on which techniques are most successful. I will also continue to reflect on my professional practice using my journal entries.





References:
Reader 2, Middlesex University (2014)



Dewey, John (1934), Art as Experience,1958 reprint, New York: Putnam
Kolb, D. A. (1984). Experiential learning: Experience as the source of learning and development (Vol. 1). Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.


Boud, David (2001) 'Using Journal Writing to Enhance Reflective practice'


http://www.literacynet.org/mi/assessment/findyourstrengths.html


http://www.simplypsychology.org/learning-kolb.html






1 comment:

  1. Laura - yes like the context for these - it is good also to continue to try these ideas out - do you think other professionals that you work with use a form of reflective practice?
    note typo for schon somewhere in text

    ReplyDelete