Friday 4 March 2016

Identifying knowledge and skills in the workplace

Identifying Knowledge and Skills in the workplace


What do I know:
Dance Technique 
Singing Technique 
How to act in Musical Theatre
How to behave in professional environments
How too network and promote myself as a freelance artist
Teaching skills

How do I know it?
Trained on a professional Musical Theatre course, however I have gained numerous skills and developed existing skills through working in professional companies, networking with other professionals, learning through experience (performing professionally on stage)

What Knowledge and Skills do I need for the future?
I have worked extensively in Musical Theatre, childrens theatre and Pantomime. I would in the future like too move my career forward by auditioning for straight acting roles both in theatre and TV, therefore, it would be extremely beneficial too look into acting techniques and character development. I will also consider other factors which may have a positive or negative effect on my success in the 'straight acting world'.



Do I work in a transdisciplinary environment?
As stated in reader 4 ‘Knowledge in the workplace can take a Transdisciplinary approach which infers a wider scope of understanding that crosses the boundary of all disciplines’ It teaches aspects of ‘real life situations’,. It involves focusing on new perspectives and contexts and also the ability to adapt, reflect and problem solve within our professional arenas. In my opinion it is an essential approach in our ever evolving world. 

I highlighted three particular words in the above paragraph which immediately stood out too me. It is, in my opinion, essential too apply these three strategies in order to be a successful performer and survive in our tough and ever evolving industry

Problem Solving and reflecting
 Problem solving is skill I discovered I had through the use of reflection since beginning my studies on professional practice.
 We are rarely able too predict when a problem will occur in the context of live performance and therefore, when one does, it is essential to adapt quickly and ‘reflect-in-action’. This is a skill of which I am capable and one that has continuously developed throughout my professional training. I discussed occasions of reflections in more detail in Task 2C. Reflection is a skill I use continuously during performance contracts. I reflect on rehearsals and performances and evaluate what wrong and what I could have done differently in order for it to be better next time.

Adapt
As a freelance actress, singer, dancer. I stumble across numerous situations in which I am required too adapt too quickly in order to be successful. I have noted them on the diagram below.


As well as transdicplinary, Interdisciplinary knowledge is also an integral part of my practice. Often as performers we a required too integrate all three art forms in a performance. I do a lot of musical theatre work in which dancing, singing and acting are all required too a strong level. I also take part in TIE tours which include workshops. I am required too have teaching skills for these tours along with subject knowledge and also safeguarding training.



Gibbons, 2008, Created too models highlighting the different approaches way take too learning, Mode 1 and Mode 2. Below I have listed aspects of the two.

Mode 1- Governing values:

-Achieve the purpose as the actor defines it.
-Win, Do not lose.
-Suppress negative feelings
-Emphasis rationality

Primary strategies-

-          Control environment and task unilaterally.
-           Protect self and others.


Usually operationalised by:

      
Face saving tactics
     
Treating ones own views as correct

Un illustrated attributions and evaluations.

Mode 2- Governing values:
        
-Valid information
    
 -Free and informed choice
         
-Internal commitment

Strategies include-
    
-Sharing control
        
-Implementation of action
       
 - Participation

Operationalised by-
-Attribution and evaluation illustrated with relatively directly observable data
-Surfacing conflicting view
-Encouraging public testing of evaluations



Mode 1 approach to learning is very restrictive and will not assist the process of learning. It would be inadequate to use this approach when considering my inquiry. Aspects of this model have been apparent in my professional practice until present; however I do feel I have progressed as a learner and began using mode 2 approaches to learning. An example of this would be how I have I questioned my original approach too beginning my inquiry before my deferral and discussed with colleagues new approaches I could take in order too be successful in this module I have also begun conversing more with other BAPP students via blog comments which in turn have already assisted me in gaining clarity on certain aspects of reader 4 and also inspired my inquiry process. In module 1 I was reluctant too comment on other blogs or ask for help in order too avoid embarrassment. I now understand how this could hinder my learning. Mode 2- is an excellent approach too teaching and a valuable piece of knowledge for students training too embark on a professional career in a tough and competitive field such as Theatre Arts. A mode 1 approach too learning could potentially lead too artists missing out on opportunities and limiting their training through fear of being wrong or embarrassment.  Every performer is individual and should be encouraged too excel and grab every opportunity with confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment