Tuesday 8 March 2016

Developing Lines of Inquiry 4C










Yesterday I had an enlightening conversation with an industry professional that both performs as an actress and teaches. I was in a state of complete panic and confusion. I felt as though everybody else embarking upon the BAPP adventure, had a clear career focus in mind and were already well on there way too achieving it. I however am still in the stage of figuring that out.

The variety in my career at the moment left me with no clarity in which way too go with my Inquiry. We discussed my new ideas for developing lines of inquiry and also touched on my original ideas.


1. How Do Actors create and develop character?
We discussed how this question is very vague and unspecific. People have different methods of creating character that work best for them. These methods could vary depending on the type of training they received, personal experiences and also the type of acting job, This may not help me or anybody else for that matter progress from Musical Theatre to straight plays and acting for camera.

'People may approach creating characters differently depending on the discipline' anonymous (March 2016)

This was a quote I found really interesting. It led us to discuss how all of my inquiry questions where very similar (particularly questions 1 and 2) and only focused on creating character. I explained that I chose to base my inquiry around acting technique and building character as I wanted to begin working in straight plays and for camera as well as Musical Theatre. We then talked about how there are many other factors surrounding the transition from Musical Theatre to acting in straight plays such as, technical factors, style, networking with professionals in the straight acting 'world', the stigmas attached to Musical Theatre and also self promotion. Some of the ideas which arose are very similar to my original ideas in blog Task 4A.

After much deliberation I have decided too focus my inquiry on 'Transitioning from Musical Theatre to straight acting in plays and on screen. I will focus on questions such as:


How can working in Musical Theatre inform the work in straight plays and acting for camera?

Are there any similarities or differences between acting in Musicals and straight acting?

Do actors approach developing character differently depending on whether the role is  in a Musical, a play or on screen?

I will also consider my original questions regarding this topic in 
Blog Task 4A.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Laura, I think you've come to a good subject there. It might be a bit broad though? Similarities and differences between MT and staright acting is a huge subject... think about what you really don't know and answer that... that is what Im finding to be the hardest part of defining my inquiry questions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Catherine sorry its taken me so long to reply I have been rehearsing for a show whilst also performing in another its been really tough, I havnt been able to do any work for BAPP at all the last two weeks. Thank you for your comment size is an aspect I'm finding very difficult. I am struggling too find a topic which isn't too small or too large. I am currently looking through literature so hopefully that will help me refine my ideas more. How are you getting on with defining your questions? I am also finding it difficult too find appropriate literature. I am thinking I may be being too specific with my search.

    Thanks Laura

    ReplyDelete