Tuesday 12 April 2016

Ethical Considerations in relation to my Inquiry

I decided to do some extra reading in relation too my Inquiry and came across BERA (British Educational Research Association). They provide an ethical Guidance frame work to help with educational research Inquiries. I will use this information too ensure my inquiry is ethically sound.

The association considers that educational researchers should ensure all individuals are treated fairly. As the inquirer I will also be required too be sensitive and respect participants ethical beliefs in regard too culture, race, religion, politics ETC. I will also require consent from all involved (for this I will use the Ethics release forms provided by Paula). The guidelines state that 'Researchers must take the steps necessary to ensure that all participants in the research understand the process in which they are to be engaged, including why their participation is necessary, how it will be used and how and to whom it will be reported. Social networking and other on-line activities, including their video-based environments, present challenges for consideration of consent issues and the participants must be clearly informed that their participation and interactions are being monitored and analysed for research.' BERA Ethical Guidelines, Page 5. 
I plan on doing this using a written method and also explaining in person during interviews. I will also explain to the participants that they have the right too withdraw at any time and advise them that they are entitled too a copy of any documents containing personal data relating too them. Having said that, this may not apply too certain participants as they have the right too remain anonymous. If participants do not wish to remain anonymous, I will follow the Data Protection Act and ensure I have permission too use the personal information beforehand and keep the data secure.

In terms of methods, the guidelines explain how important it is too make sure findings are reliable, valid and generalisable. I will present them in a professional and straightforward way suitable for my targeted audience. I am already thinking of ethical issues arising from the methods I will be using and will discuss these in my SIG.

Below is a link to my SIG, I would be very grateful if you all could join and discuss ethical issues which may arise due too my chosen research methods and Inquiry topic.


Bibliography:

No comments:

Post a Comment