Tuesday 12 April 2016

Thoughts on Reader 5




In this blog I will discuss key aspects of reader 5. I decided too focus on key aspects of which I could relate too my professional Practice.

I found the following very intriguing.

Personal-Professional-organisation-Society (Contexts in which ethics operates)

I work extensively in Theatre's and if there is one thing I have learnt it is that EVERYBODY KNOWS EVERYBODY. A very important personal ethic of mine is too not discuss industry professionals, companies, agents etc with fellow performers, I do not mix business with pleasure and make a conscious effort to remain a positive hard-working attitude and be supportive to my colleagues . As demonstrated in the Diagram above; Ethical issues in one context can overlap or have effects on ethical issues in another context. An example would be if I spoke negatively about a colleague and others found out. It could lead to me being disciplined or hurt peoples feelings this would be a problem in a close working environment such as the Theatre and could possibly affect relationships between cast both on and off stage. As I mentioned previously EVERYBODY KNOWS EVERYBODY word spreads fast. Therefore by behaving unethical in such a way in a professional contract I could jeopardise my chances of working for others in the future.

As stated in reader 5, page 7, Middlesex University, ethics isn’t always a case of black and white, there are grey areas. I have witnessed actions and behaviour in the work place that could have potentially had a negative impact on both my colleagues and my own professional practice. In this instance I was confused on whether too stick too my personal ethics and stay out of the situation or step in and speak too a person of authority, I had too think of the consequences of each and make an informed decision.
This would make me a consequentialist, Consequentialists believe an act is only morally right if it maximises the good,

In relation too case study one, I would speak up regardless of whether I wished too protect my image as peoples health is much more important, the article states, that there is no statuary obligation too speak up. If people spoke up innocent lives could be saved and in my opinion people should always speak up in this context, however in the theatre things could be different. It is very rare that a life could be in jeopardy and ethical issues may be minor in comparison.


As selfish as this may sound; as performers we are self employed and how we portray ourselves and our character is a massive part of our job. We are often required too think of ourselves. This is something I find really difficult to adapt to as a person who often puts others first. In the professional arena we have to look at the context and severity of a situation before getting involved and decide which is the best ethical outcome for ourselves  (to an extent) or else it could be detrimental too our job. I must emphasis to an extent as if a child or even an adult were in a vulnerable position or a performance was in jeopardy I would always remain professional and speak to a person of authority.

No comments:

Post a Comment